Application deadline has passed.
The Biophysical Society has limited travel support available for undergraduate and graduate student members who are recommended by their advisors to attend the Annual Meeting of the Biophysical Society. Each travel award may be used towards roundtrip airfare to the Meeting site, not to exceed $500. Selection of awardees will be based on scientific merit. Priority will be given to those presenting papers at the meeting. Students’ advisors are expected to recommend only their very best students and to write letters that provide evidence of each student's excellent achievements in research.
The following eligibility requirements must be met:
- The applicant must be accepted as a student member with 2010 member dues paid by the application deadline, October 4, 2009.
- The applicant must not have received a Student travel award previously from the Biophysical Society.
- The student applicant must reside outside a 100-mile radius of the Annual Meeting site.
The following materials are required at time of online submission:
- A letter of recommendation from an advisor who is a regular member of the Society with 2010 dues paid.
- A copy of the abstract submitted for presentation at the Annual Meeting.
- A personal statement that must address the following points (1 to 2 sentences for each item is sufficient):
- Explain your role in the research project.
- At what stage are you of your undergraduate or graduate education/program?
- Why is it important for you to get a travel award to attend the Annual Meeting?
- Have you ever attended and/or presented at the Annual Meeting? If so, did you present a poster or platform?
- Provide a short description of your research for the lay public.
Please note, because this is a travel award, applicants must be present at the meeting in order to receive their award. Awards are presented at the Minority Biophysicists and Student Travel Award Reception at the Annual Meeting.
For questions regarding the Student Travel Award, please contact the Biophysical Society Office at
(301) 634-7114 / .