Rufus W. Lumry II
Rufus Worth Lumry II, 92, died March 23, 2013, in St. Paul, Minnesota. He was a Biophysical Society member since 1979, and elected a Society Fellow in 2003.
Lumry was born November 3, 1920, in Bismarck, North Dakota. He received his BS in chemistry from Harvard College in 1942. During World War II he was associated with the National Defense Research Committee. Following the war, he returned to Harvard and received his PhD in chemical physics in 1948. While working on his PhD, Lumry developed an interested in enzymes. In 1948 he moved to the University of Utah, joining Henry Eyring and Emil Smith among others. He moved to the University of Minnesota as an assistant professor of chemistry in 1954, and become a full professor in l956. Lumry taught at the University of Minnesota until his retirement in 1990 and was the author of over 130 publications in the field of protein biophysical chemistry.
In the 1960s and 1970s, he spent time leading laboratories in the field of protein chemistry in Denmark, Italy, Germany, and Japan. Lumry was also involved in organizing major scientific conferences, including a Gordon Conference. He was an influential participant and organizer of the Red Cell and Hemoglobin Program Project Grant awarded to the University of Minnesota in the 1970s and 1980s. He was recipient of numerous grants from the National Science Foundation, the National Institutes of Health, and the US Navy.
A remarkable aspect of his career is that it extended well beyond his retirement. His 1995 chapter about new paradigms of protein research and his 2003 paper on protein substructures were significant contributions to the field of protein dynamics. Rufus is survived by his three children, Rufus W. Lumry III, and Stephen E. Lumry, both of Bellevue, Washington, and Ann E. Lumry of St. Paul, Minnesota.
—Bo Hedlund, Minneapolis
May 2013 Table of Contents