Application deadline has passed.
The Biophysical Society’s Education Committee has limited travel support available for students and postdoctoral fellows who are recommended by their advisors to attend the 2012 Biophysical Society Annual Meeting. Each travel award may be used towards roundtrip airfare to the Meeting site, not to exceed $500. Selection of awardees will be based on scientific merit. Students’ advisors are expected to recommend only their very best students and to write letters that provide evidence of each student's excellent achievements in research.
The following eligibility requirements must be met:
- The applicant must be accepted as a member with 2012 member dues paid by the application deadline, October 5, 2011.
- The applicant must be presenting an abstract at the Annual Meeting.
- The applicant must not have received a Student travel award previously from the Biophysical Society.
- The student applicant must reside outside a 100-mile radius of the Annual Meeting site.
The following materials are required at the time of online application submission:
- A copy of the abstract submitted for presentation at the Annual Meeting.
- Distinct answers in a bulleted format to each of the following questions (1 to 2 sentences for each item is sufficient):
-Explain your role in the research project.
-At what stage are you of your undergraduate or graduate education/program?
-Why is it important for you to get a travel award to attend the Annual Meeting?
-Have you ever attended and/or presented at the Annual Meeting? If so, did you present a poster or platform?
-What is the long-range goal of your research?
-What is the significance of your research?
-What is the most novel aspect of your research?
-Explain any other source of financial support you have to attend the Annual Meeting.
-What is your mentor’s name, institution, and department?
- A letter of recommendation from an advisor who is a regular member of the Society with 2012dues paid.
- Where is the student in his/her degree program?
- Role of the student in project development?
- How is the student supported (training grant, research grant, other)?
- Has the student made presentations at previous Biophysical Society or other national meetings?
- Rate the student compared to others at the same stage.
- Identify any special considerations relating to need or appropriateness of a travel award.
For Postdoctoral Fellows:
1. A copy of the abstract submitted for presentation at the Annual Meeting.
2. A curriculum vitae.
Please note that because this is a travel award, applicants must be present at the meeting in order to receive their award. Awards are presented at the Minority Biophysicists and Student Travel Award Reception at the Annual Meeting.
For questions regarding the Education Committee Travel Award, please contact the Biophysical Society at (240) 290-5600 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Travel Award Application